Wednesday 11 November 2015

Beautiful Bird (in stitch)

It's been a while since my last post, but I felt that I'd put a bit too much pressure on myself to post on the same day every week, and so I've taken a step back and realised that I need to allow myself to be a little bit more flexible with my posting. I've blogged before, but as part of a group, so I'm still getting used to having sole responsibility and I need to strike a balance between blogging and my other commitments. So I'm going to try a more relaxed approach and see how it works out.

So time now for an update on my artistic endeavours:-

I am and always have been entranced, fascinated, and captivated by birds. I could happily spend hours gazing out of the window, observing them flying, perching, feeding and singing in my garden.


I still have my Usborne Birdwatcher's guide from childhood and can remember clearly one warm summers day following the instructions for suitable camouflage clothing and layering myself up with a thick brown wool cardigan and wellington boots. I was thus prepared, to crawl up and down a grassy bank, much to the amusement of the neighbours I'm sure.


Birds had to play some part in my 'Maps' embroideries as they are woven through my life. When I see the Blackbird tugging a worm from my lawn or the Robin with his plump red breast chirping away from atop the fence post, I feel a joy that lifts my spirit.

I used to love looking through bird books to find pictures of baby birds with their mouths gaping open for food and I love to watch 'Springwatch' where the cameras literally give you a birds eye view of feeding. I don't know what sparked this interest - it's just always been there - I'm not a serious twitcher traveling the country hot on the wings of  a rare sighting. At the moment I don't even have a bird table - it's most definitely on the wish list. But I love that birds exist and I'm lucky enough to share my space with them.

So here is my finished embroidery:-


'Come Into My Garden'
Amanda xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment