Monday 23 November 2015

The Empty Stocking

Christmas is fast approaching and the thick layer of sparkling frost covering everything this morning seemed to herald its coming; which brings me neatly to the reason for todays post - my absolute favourite Christmas book of the moment:-


'The Empty Stocking' by Richard Curtis
illustrations by Rebecca Cobb

I absolutely adore this book and I urge you to get your own copy, whether you have children or not. It will give you that 'feel good' feeling and have you reaching for a nice glass of port and a slice of stollen.

Written by well known film director Richard Curtis, his hand is very apparent as he pulls, to great effect, on your heart strings. The utterly charming illustrations by relative newcomer Rebecca Cobb work perfectly to bring the story vividly to life. She has a childlike style combined with a sophisticated attention to detail.


It tells the story of 7 year old twins Sam and Charlie who, on Christmas Eve, are preparing excitedly for Father Christmas to visit. But Mum and Dad are a little bit worried as this has been Charlie's naughtiest year yet. Does Father Christmas know? And will he fill her stocking?

The first time I read this book I immediately fell in love with it and had to get my own copy. My son was already a teenager at this point so I couldn't pass it off as a present for him, but I was more than happy to gift it to myself.

Books are such great gifts, never more so than at Christmas, the perfect time to cosy up by the fire with a warm drink and a great read. I'm busy compiling my list now.


Amanda xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment