Monday 23 May 2016

Progress Report

So this embroidery is now well under way; past the point of those first tentative stitches, wondering how it's going to look, and if I can even bring myself to start. Facing a blank piece of fabric is just as nerve wracking as when I face the blank piece of paper for my initial sketch; and if I have a face to do as part of my image, this really puts the pressure on. Because a human face is such a focal point it's important that I get it right, so it's always the first part of the embroidery I stitch - I don't want to have the worry of this affecting my work on the rest of the piece, so best to tackle it head-on.


I hand stitch my work which does require time and patience and although my sketch provides me with a template, I decide on colour and the type of stitch as I go along. I don't have a fixed idea of how a piece will end up looking, relying more on instinct and experimentation. This does mean that progress can be slow if I have to unpick something I'm not happy with, but that's all part of seeing what works and what doesn't.

When I first begin a piece of work I usually have a massive crises of confidence and start to question why I am even doing this, but as it starts to take shape and I see my creativity manifesting itself on the fabric, something seems to click into place. It's a vital piece of me and who I am. I love the assuredness of this figure and I love that I brought her into being.

Amanda xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment