Sunday 9 April 2017

Maps Series 1 - "A Fairytale Gown. A Fairytale Ending"

I now have the beginning of my next embroidery. The fairy-tale gown of the title is based on a design by John Galliano, who as a designer always created magical stories that would weave through the clothing and elevate it to the place of dreams. When I was at art college he was the designer we all revered.


As for the fairy-tale ending...well, I grew up reading the classics such as Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Princess and the Pea, and then when I was older I graduated onto Danielle Steel novels. The woman always got her fairy-tale ending in the form of a prince or 'tall, dark, handsome stranger'.


So for the image I looked at 'Theatre de la Mode' for inspiration. (A 1940's touring exhibit of fashion mannequins created to revive the French fashion industry in the aftermath of the second world war). She's just a doll, a puppet, and can be put in whatever position you choose. She's not real...just like a fairy-tale ending isn't real - There are no endings - Just a continuous, amazing, cycle of life with ups and downs, tears and smiles, heartbreak and contentment.

I hope to post the finished image very soon.

One of my biggest pleasures is to see the cycle of life in my very own "Tiny Urban Garden". This morning it was warm enough for me to sit outside for breakfast at my little bistro set. Leafs are unfurling a little more each day. My scarlet red tulips opened up to the sun's rays. You can feel the very earth coming back to life.


The blue sky has clouded over now. It might be cold and raining again tomorrow. But each and every day has its very own precious moments.

Amanda xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment