Thursday 11 May 2017

A Fairy Tale Ending

The next piece in 'Maps. Series 1' is complete - it was so enjoyable to do and I have to say I feel really pleased with how it's turned out. It looks beautiful, and yet a little off-kilter. I worked it predominantly in split stitch and chain stitch, using a silk remnant for the bodice and interlinings for the skirt and veil.

'Fairytale Gown. Fairytale Ending'
Life these days is so fast-paced, everyone rushing around, time just speeding by. Even as I'm typing this I'm aware that the washing machine has just stopped, is now beeping insistently at me that the washing is done, and it's niggling in my head - there's always something that needs doing - I'm going to have to take a pause to peg-out!!

Sewing is the complete opposite... I hand stitch all my work which immediately slows everything right down. Also, apart from the actual initial sketch on paper, I have no clear plan as to how the work will look when done. This means I have to push everything else out of my mind and absorb myself in the colours and stitches and fabric and seeing where my creativity will take me.

It's good to disengage from the hustle and bustle and take up my needle and thread even if it's only for a short period of time; although it's not all complete harmony -  if I'm not happy with how it's looking stitches have to be unpicked, different techniques tried, but this particular one has gone fairly smoothly.

Amanda xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment