Monday 3 August 2015

Embroidering The Truth

Art is right up there at the top of my happy list, be it other peoples art or creating my own. I have drawn and coloured and cut and stuck and sewn all my life. The type of art I have found myself doing most recently is embroidery; as a child I grew up very aware of textiles, living in a town that prospered in the industry and having a mother who was always sewing, making clothes for us all.

As I got older I turned away from a medium that felt too traditional and uninspiring, but then as I grew older still I found myself drawn back to the possibilities of fabric and threads when I decided to study fashion design at college.

 
My current work is rooted in traditional embroidery techniques but I have found a way of working that feels modern, expressive and inspiring; I am often surprised by my finished pieces.

The series of work I will show you over the next few months is called 'Maps, Series1'  and is informed by my own personal narrative as is all of my work - born out of the desire to map, record and detail my own history.



'I Thought I'd Never Find You' work in progress

This is a work in progress image of the first piece in the series and is hand-stitched on linen using threads and fabric that I already had in my box of supplies. It felt important for this project to use what I already had, and create from limited resources.

It's getting late now so I'll save the story of this piece until another time.

Goodnight. Amanda x

No comments:

Post a Comment